Monday, June 9, 2014

Of Sweet Roses Syrup






In my rose garden are roses of many colors, but for the syrup I used only the blossoms of red, pink, and lavender.





Harvest them in the cool of the day. My roses are watered overhead by an automatic sprinkler system, so after picking, I turn them upside down and give them a gentle shake to get the water droplets off. Then, remove the centers and stems and discard them.





Bring a kettle of water was brought to a boil. Then turn off the heat on the stove and gently added the petals and lid them. Allow them to cool and sit for about 12 hours. The essence will be strong and fragrant after steeping in the water for this long. Then strain the water from the petals into a large bowl. Strain the rose water again one last time, through a coffee filter this time. Make sure the water is clear and without fragments.





Using a formula similar a regular floral syrup like the yellow violets one posted previously, I made the rose syrup and canned it for later use. The beautiful ruby red color looks so enticing! I think it will be fun to use in tea, served on fruit or cake, or as a topping for crepes. 






And since we are on the topic of roses, may I share a picture of my vintage roses cake plate? It was stuck on a bottom shelf with trays and bake-ware in a thrift shop. I found it with a sticker that said 10 cents.




It has a lever that when pushed starts the top rotating and a music box playing HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And how appropriate, as today is my sons birthday! 

Use floral syrups to sweeten tea, make jellies, stir into a frosting or glaze, or a million other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment